aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthboundMisfit View Post
The oil viscosity recommendation (10W60) may not have changed, but the preferred supplier may have.

18 months ago I had Brisbane BMW change the oil, and they put in Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10W60, not Castrol. They advised that they now use Shell, not Castrol, but didn't elaborate why. Perhaps Castrol is no longer the only oil supplier Australian dealerships can choose from.

According to my (2007) owner's manual, the following viscosities are appropriate:
Preferred: SAE 10W-60
Alternative: SAE 10W-40, SAE 5W-50, 10W-50

Would be interested to know what a 2013 manual (from any region) says?
I don't know how Brisbane BMW put Shell when Castrol is the sole supplier to BMW and all dealers. That's very interesting and you should ask for an explanation.

The manual reads, "alternatively" and I guess it's up for interpretation, and given TWS is available through the dealer we won't be able to get away using an alternate grade. I think it only applies to when SAE 10w-60 is not available.

Interesting, it doesn't mention TWS in the manual which means one can use Castrol Edge 10w-60 and get away. So Castrol Edge 10w-60 will set you back $180 for just the 10l oil compared to $400 just for TWS at the dealer.

TWS literature states, " ... micro filtered and with its signature fluorescent colour, it is your guarantee of professional quality." This is the only line that missing in the retail 10w-60 literature. I think "professional" is used for oil that's sold to dealers and workshops just to make it look like a different oil. Why would Castrol make to different grades of 10w-60. Doesn't make sense. All a marketing gimmick.