01-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Porsche is part of the vw group (Audi, vw, Porsche, lambo ) and is actually a huge company with deep pockets to engineer specific "porsche" only engines.

People don't realize BMW is a smaller company in the car world. They don't have the same volume as Toyota, daimler (Mercedes), gm, vw group, ford, etc. They need to abide by the same fuel regulations per the EPA with a smaller product line up. It's hard for them to pay for m specific engines and stay profitable. It's no surprise to me the new s55 is based off a production n55. A completely m only engine (s65) will probably never happen again unless BMW merges or is bought by another big car company.
Don't be going to the F9x forum and saying the S55 is based on the N55 unless you have the flame suit on.

So you're saying BMW could afford to make bespoke /M engines when it was a MUCH smaller company and didn't have Mini or Rolls, but now it's so big (relative to 10-15 years ago), that they can't afford to make a real /M engine?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0