11-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #46
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I saw a therapist when it first happened because I was TERRIFIED to go to sleep and the dr. told me I was normal
Any therapist will tell you this. Postdormital sleep paralysis accounts occur all over the world in almost any environment. Hypnagognic sleep paralysis (when you are falling asleep) is more rare, but can occur also. Actually, I think its like 4 in 10 people experience some sort of sleep paralysis, but obviously some have heavier experiences than others (much like other sleeping disorders). It can be triggered by something as small as sleeping on your back, or a larger issue like stress or people who have change their sleep schedule. The thought of having something greater than you holding you down is your mind trying to put an explanation to the feeling, rather than considering it a regular sleep disorder.

Do you primarily sleep on your back? My ex had this issue, she thought it was me putting pressure on her with my arm in the morning ( which it couldn't have been because I want my space ), but a doctor suggested she tried changing sleeping position to side. The occurrences dropped from maybe 10-15 times a month to only a few times.
Appreciate 0