03-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMANUEL View Post
Hey all-

Have the option of getting a perfect condition 2009 e92 m3 with 16,000km on the clock or a brand new 2013 Audi s5 with the new v6t engine and dct.

What are your opinions?
The S5 is simply not the same level of car. Remember, in virtually all comparisons, the M3 beat the RS5. I have spent a bit of time behind the wheel of the S5. In comparison to the M3, the S5 feels cumbersome, and the steering feels completely numb and disconnected. The car just doesn't feel as "tight" as the M3. The suspension feels softer and yet harsher and clunkier than the M3. From a looks standpoint, the S5 is a beautiful vehicle, but the M3 is just as good looking IMO and I have seen these cars side by side.

The big advantage of the S5 obviously, is the quattro system, which means you can drive the car closer to the limits without much of a learning curve like that which is needed to take the M3 to near its limits.

I used to own an RS4, and that car was, objectively speaking, an even match for the M3. The RS4 had some things that were superior, and the M3 has others. S5 is a step down in the overall subjective driving experience, and not just by a small amount. I felt the same way when I spent a day with an S4 loaner when my Cayenne was being serviced. Nice, but not as raw, entertaining, focused, or "wired in" as an M3.

S5 will have a huge advantage in foul weather if this is a consideration.