12-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #30
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
OK, I'll ask....any shark (reef & nurse sharks need not apply) encounters or other hairy moments you guys care to share? The deep sea intrigues me yet there's still so much we don't even know yet.
i wouldn't call shark encounters 'hairy moments'. they're pretty harmless and will just check you out and keep moving most of the time. you rarely ever hear stories of shark biting divers. nurse sharks are mostly docile and just sit on the bottom motionless. reefs are a bit more active, but like i said, usually just check you out and swim on by. even seeing a shark active during the day is pretty rare at most dive sites anyway.

i'm more concerned with barracuda personally. those guys really like to get up close and personal. those teeth in your face don't play! they're way more likely to take a nip at you than a shark. my first night dive on the vandenberg was pretty much dodging barracuda the whole time. they really want to check out your light and will nip at just about anything shiny on your gear. you hear stories all the time about barracuda biting earrings or watches...basically anything shiny with a reflection. sharks very rarely do that stuff.
Appreciate 0