02-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #46
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
Grave,

I'm not saying that playing 2 hours of ball for YOU will drastically raise your cortisol levels, as you're probably well conditioned for it already. I'm talking about the typical out-of-shape office dweller who decides to get fit, ends up working out (playing ball, whatever) for hours at a time and only ends up raising cortisol levels and creating a huge appetite.

Two hours of moderate activity such as playing ball is nothing for a conditioned person.

I do however disagree with you that two servings of meat a day DON'T provide enough protein for the guy. It's more than enough. One piece of salmon a day is plenty. Add to that a healthy serving of nuts or beans and the guy is getting much more than his body needs. It's a myth that we need all this protein to survive. A healthy, vegetarian-centric diet has more than enough protein for everyone.

I find it funny that all these gymheads are so obsessed over how much protein they're getting, but none of them care about the other stuff they're neglecting, like the fruits and vegetables.

Think of how the old-timers lived. You think they had nice big servings of meat every meal? No. Meat was a treat. You'd be lucky to get it once a day, muchless once a meal. Grains and vegetables made up the brunt of their diet. I'd take an old-timers strength and physique over any of today's protein-heads.
For an out of shape person, Im sure the effect of raised cortisol (if any, let alone any significant amount) will be FAR outweighed by the activity and exercise they are getting from playing sports. Its not even a point worth discussing.

If this dude was an Olympic athlete and training 15-20+ hours a week, we might want to consider it. Otherwise he'd burn more calories thinking about what cortisol actually is than miss out on (burning), because it was 'raised' due to his 2 hour bball run.
Appreciate 0