06-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
have to sound off on the whole ubuntu thing.

i have been using Linux as my primary OS (work desktop, home desktop, servers at work) since '97. It all started with a 28 floppy download of Slackware for my 486SX, then RedHat 4.0, SuSe, Caldera, Debian, and then Ubuntu, because it is Debian based but more Desktop friendly. Linux is my full time job. This is what i do for a living.

if you are a kind of person who has all the time in the world to spend countless hours trying to get your shit to work, linux is for you. but if you are a basic windows check-email-get-online type of user, don't waste your time.

Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) release was a complete disaster! It broke EVERYTHING. I had to reinstall from scratch (i NEVER EVER had to do it with Debian) and re-configure everything again, and even then half of the shit did not work. Like using wireless with static IP's. Network Manager gui software did not allow that, and the only way to get it working was removing bunch of shit and configuring via config files (NOT something a new user would be able to do)

Then 8.04 (Hardy Heron) came out... and after a simple apt-get dist-upgrade Grub (boot loader) does not see my hard drive anymore. I said fuck it and went back to Debian.

Sooo.... i would suggest you stick with windows, unless you either know what you are doing, or you have time and desire to play with your computer all day long

It actually bums me out that after all these years Linux is still nowhere near where it could have been