View Single Post
      01-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #22
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Some bits might be a repost, but I think its paints a nice picture.
Source: www.finalgear.com

Quote:
NBC has ordered a pilot for “Gear”, an American version of Top Gear, that will be officially announced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit (January 19-27).
Quote:
The pilot will be filmed at a secret location around Los Angeles equipped with a race track and hangar where the show will be filmed in front of a audience.

NBC reality chief Craig Plestis said the network already is getting numerous inquiries from car companies that had heard rumblings about a U.S. remake.

“This is a favorite of all automobile companies as it shows their cars in such a great light,” he said.

NBC reality chief Craig Plestis said he is a longtime fan of “Top Gear.”

“It all comes down to subject matter — it’s a cool show about cars,” he said. “It’s very compelling for us because we have a great platform and space on the network to have such a show.”

Among “Gear’s” popular segments that will be replicated in the U.S. are races where the hosts have to reach a destination using different modes of transportation, road tests, challenges like converting and refurbishing existing cars into anything from a stretch limo to an amphibian and celebrities racing a midsize car. (”American Idol’s” Simon Cowell holds the record for fastest lap time with a Chevrolet Lacetti.)

The series will premiere at 11 p.m. on March 4th before moving to its regular time period at 10 p.m. March 11th.
I really hope they don't mess up how the Stig is portrayed. American remakes often lack the charm and appeal of the foreign originals, especially in television with the unnecessary suspense, censorship, and dumbing down of content. I also hope the reviews remain objective and its not just a elaborate 60 minute car commercial. They need to bash cars that have things wrong, not be positive to everything on 4 wheels like Fifth Gear.

Jay Leno might make an 'ok' choice... simply because he owns so many of the cars they might test drive so they won't be confined to only positive reviews by a auto company putting restrictions on their testing of the cars. I also wonder how much of the show would actually be about American cars, because them driving around in Saturn Skyy's and Pontiac Trans Ams would be a bit dull. Alot of the charm in the original version is seeing a car normally well beyond normal reach being thrashed and abused with the presenter laughing evilly while loving every bit of it.