View Single Post
      04-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #48
mkaresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Lexus GS 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms View Post
interesting. I think the "feeling" of fast is different than being fast. The power delivery is probably a lot smoother than in the 335 and you don't get that sudden burst w/o a turbo. also, from everything I've read, it seems you really have to get high in the rev range to take full advantage of the M3, so maybe it's not as fun in normal driving conditions.

I love the M3 and have wanted one since I started to drive. I've been seriously considering trading in the 335 for one, but based on what I've read so far, I'm not sure I will do it because I'm afraid I'll have a similar experience and regret spending all the extra cash (to be sure, the M3 is better, but this is purely a matter of cost benefit given the allegedly marginal gains in driving experience (wish I could test drive one, but no demos around me and dealers have all told me no)).

It seems like the car isn't really much more fun if you're driving to and from work, and really only shines compared to a modded 335 if you drive on twisty roads for plan to track the car. I don't plan to do either, and even though I appreciate the M3, I don't think the money is justified based solely on how I plan to use the car.

Interestingly enough, I thought this all through on my way to work this am and started thinking that the C63 might be better for me based on the aforementioned reasons. For just zipping around town, power and acceleration are more fun (to me at least), and it seems like power/acceleration fun factor would be better in the Merc.
I had these thoughts so many times, about so many cars.

The classic adage:

"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow."
Appreciate 0