03-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #42
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
I have also owned a E36 M3, E46 M3 and E92 M3. Sorry but what you're saying makes no sense.

Add 400 pounds, add more luxury options, make people get navigation so they can have M-dynamic mode, take away the spirit of the M3 (high revving I6) and give it a V8, reduce feedback from the road, cater more to the luxury market....
Sorry, but what you're saying doesn't make much sense either.

The base spec E92 weighs 3600 lbs, a 200 lbs increase over the E46, which was a 250lbs increase over the E36, which was a 300lbs increase over the E30. Meaning, it's the smallest gross increase of weight of any generation, and the smallest one by far if you look percentage-wise.
The spirit of the original M3 - the E30 - was of an inline 4, not 6.
The spirit of the US E36 M3 was of a torquey and not very high revving inline 6.
Forget Navigation and M dynamic mode, that's for sissies. BMW doesn't "make" you do anything at all, it's all in your head.

And every generation M3 - every single one of them - has been pretty much a 3 series loaded up to the gills with a high standard spec. Including the E30 M3 which came with leather, electric windows, AC, optional sunroof and heated seats etc. No wonder it weighed as much or more as a regular 325i, despite having a much lighter engine, panels, glass etc.

I too agree with the other poster that the E46 felt a tad artificial in some of its deliveries, as if it was trying a tad too hard. No matter, it's still all in good fun.

But it was not the best M3 - excelled in some areas, mediocre in others. (Yes, including the steering feel).
Appreciate 0