View Single Post
      01-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
kooolaid
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3 Lexus GS300

throttle actuator

I actually had similar problem couple months ago...Reduced engine power, Drive train malfunction, etc... 5 different warning lights with my car in limp mode...and some misfirings...

Went to the dealer and they first diagnosed 2 problems.
1. Battery
2. Throttle sensor (hall sensor) in bank 2

They quoted $600 for battery replacement and coding, and $1000 for replacing throttle sensor ($150 part $850 for 4 hours of labor).

My warranty expired last August so I was very disappointed to find out others saying 'wait til warranty expires'. It seems like BMW coded auto break down after warranty expires...haha

Anyways, they have replaced my battery twice before so it was still under warranty and service advisor told me that there is going to be a recall on the batter so they just recharged it.

And to save some bucks, I bought the part online for $80 and took it to local shop. They were able to replace the part in hour and a half!!! (BMW was asking for 4 hours of labor??!!!)

But the problem was that warning lights were still on and car was still in limp mode...then they found out it was not the sensor but the throttle actuator that was malfunctioning. So basically I had to pay $1500 to replace the part ($1000 part, $500 labor)

Anyways, I'm hoping this won't happen on the other bank now that my warranty expired. And I think it would be wise to buy extended warranty.

And I just read in other post that throttle actuator may be under warranty for 7 years in CA. So it may be wise to check with your dealer.
Appreciate 0