07-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I think a better strategy than fast lenses is a fast camera, like the Canon 50D, or better yet, the 5D MkII. The fast lenses were really a necessity back in the old days of ASA 50, 100 and 200 films, but good clean, low noise performance at ISO 400 is now the norm with the better consumer cameras. With the 50D, low noise at ISO 800 is realistic. (On the full frame cameras even ISO 1600 is very realistic). Look at the sample images at www.dpreview.com

If you go with a slow, cheap camera body and try to make up for it with fast lenses you just spend the money over and over, every time you buy a new lens. Not only are fast lenses more expensive, but they're much bulkier and often (not always) are not as sharp as their smaller aperture brothers. I'm using Canon L-series lenses, but they're f4 and f5.6 on the 400mm wildlife lens.

So, if possible, spend a little more on the camera body to get the latest sensor and best high-ISO performance that you can afford, then start with one really great wide-to-short tele lens for the bulk of your work. You subjects will lead you to speciality lenses, as needed, but you can rest assured that a lens like you proposed will serve you well on your upcoming vacation.

BTW, I mentioned Canon, but Nikon has great options also.

Dave