Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post

Attachment 388805

In the wrong way, you position the sensor arm (at the top, plastic with cross ribs) hanging straight down, so the H-shaped arm that links it to the bracket at the bottom reaches sideways instead of up and down. In that "wrong" position, there's no stress on the sensor (it doesn't get broken) but it doesn't work either. Hence the system locks the headlights in one place and waits for someone to repair it.

When I undid the sensor arm and moved it up (to where you see it in the picture) the headlights started to move as I moved it. System function was fully restored, and there was no need to adjust the manual headlight adjusters.

So, if you're one of the guys who've had to do a manual headlight adjustment after a spring or suspension install, check the rods and arms on the rear headlight sensor. If they don't look like the picture, get it checked out by a qualified mechanic.

[By the way, if you look at the photos on an iPad, they're the wrong way up. On my PC and Mac browsers, Chrome, IE, Safari and Firefox, they work fine. On the iPad Safari browser, they revert to the original camera orientation, which was determined by getting the lens aimed at the sensors for the pictures. The front picture was taken upside down and the rear was taken sideways. If they look strange, switch browsers.]
Thank you because of this post I was able to find out why my headlights were riding high without needing to adjust my headlights. I simply opened the picture (maximized) on my iPad, locked the orientation, jacked up the back end and orientated the picture and the suspension. Very quickly I was able to see it and with the left rear wheel hanging down I was able to flip the sensor to the correct orientation. Thanks again!!!
Current mods - Clubsport cage, ESS (ECU & DCT) Tune, FabSpeed HFC, Eisenmann Sport, Custom Brembo brakes (8 piston front/4 piston rear) KW Clubsport 3-way suspension w/ front Eibach & rear Swift springs, Apex EC-7 w/ 275/35-18 ZII
///M-Flight - Northern Europe
Appreciate 0