01-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
You guys kill me, face the Veyron was built to show a car can be built to do what it can do and not compromise on appearance and everyday creature comforts. Anyone who know the heritage of Bugatti, they designed and built cars which push the limits of engineering during their time and people who bought them bought them because they could and set themselves apart from everyone else.

You have to ask yourself, what engineering challenges did Nissan have to over come with their car, most likely they just borrow ideas from other cars. Are you more impress with the fact GT-R cost less than a Veyron and does the 1/4 in 10 seconds or are you more impressed with all the engineering that went into the Veyron, and how many future cars will benefit from what was learn from the Veyron.

Face it any car anyone buys are compromises, no one gets it all in one car, yeah you can go 1/4 mile in a GT-R in 10 seconds but I can show you a Turbo Cumming Diesel pickup truck that can do the 1/4 in 9 second and it cost far less then a GT-R and you can haul stuff round the farm in it to. Just image going down the highway and some smart ass kid pull up to you with a black puffing Ram truck and honks the horn 3 time and blows your doors off your GT-R, bet you're not feeling too good about your 80K purchase.

Personally, I am more impressed with a pickup doing a 1/4 in 9 sec than a sports car doing the same thing.
yes and no... I think you make a lot of valid points but you fail to realize something. Yes, a Turbo Cumming Diesel can runs 9's in the 1/4 but at the same time; can it set a lap record around the ring?, can it win an autocross session?, can it set a top gear lap record? The answer is a definitive no. The GTR is a car that's good at many things not only one... The Veyron has not set any lap record as far as I am concerned and has never been down the 'ring which is the definitive measuring ground for all cars. Yes, the Veyron is an engineering marvel but how much of that marvel is usable? How will the Veyron's 250 MPH speeds trickle down to other cars? The answer is they won't because what makes a Veyron different won't be useful in any other car. Now that's fine if u want to make a one off car but it does nothing else for us.

Also, you say that the GTR didn't have any engineering challenges? Well let me ask you what magical formula did Bugatti use? They fit the largest engine they could find by bolting 2 VW V8's together and Quad Turbocharging it. The Veyron is incredibly heavy at 4200 lbs and that's why its not used in any competitive track event and no one wants to touch one because it's incredibly expensive. I will admit that it is an amazing machine but at the same time it's a purpose built car with very little purpose (i.e. the only purpose being going at speeds well above 200 MPH which no one will ever touch.) I think the fact that Nissan designed a car for 1/3 of its competitors in price and is able to beat them is more amazing to me than anything... No other manufacturer is taking that car lightly right now. The sheer fact that it can do 90% of what a Veyron can with the exclusion of top speed with less than half the displacement, less than 1/2 the cylinders and 2 fewer turbos is incredibly impressive to me. Let's not forget that a GTR is still as great of a DD as a Veryon if not better when maintenance costs are considered (not that DD makes any difference in this conversation because no one in the world DD's a Veyron).