View Single Post
      07-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #19
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I think the main difference here on this occasion is that a DCT car will warn you of an overheat problem, where as a manual won't. Also I am getting the impression that the better the driver the more this gearbox will frustrate you, especially on the track because it's seems to have been design more for pleasure driving and less serious track work.

Slightly moving off topic (sort of) but will see if this is an isolated problem to BMW.

On all the time I had the GTi DSG I never experienced any problems at all, so I was wondering if those of you out there who happened to has a DSG car and tracked it occasionally did you ever experience any problems apart from the normal DSG one which was automatic change up at the limiter.

I never tracked mine, wife's car so no chance of that happening, plus the mess would have been awful what with all those groceries in the boot.

Also the same question goes out to anyone else with a car with a dual clutch transmission other than BMW or VAG. GTR guys out there and EVO guys, which are your findings regarding both track work and general driving on the road.
The issues that I experianced on track with my wifes GTI DSG were an aweful lot like what is being experianced by the agressive M-dct drivers.

Inconsistant downshifts under hard braking which seemed to be influenced by the ABS activation even with the DSC turned off.On a fwd car this is a real problem as late braking or left foot braking can be used to help rotate the car into the corner.

Unique to the VW(as far as I know)

uncommanded upshifts to the next gear just before redline

uncommanded downshifts when trying to torque it out of a corner which resulted in tons of unwanted wheelspin.

There were no issues with temps in 1/2 hour sessions and terminal speed at the end of the longest straight stayed consistant through the complete day which was over 3 hours on track.

With my experiance on the VW ,if I was to aquirre another GTI it would be a 6 speed "normal" gearbox car not a DSG.I am very disapointed that the issues have cropped up on M-DCT,I expected a lot better from BMW.
Appreciate 0