07-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
In a way, it is good to see BMW squirm, especially after making a press release stating Audi isn't their competition. How arrogant and narcissistic is that? Talk about wearing blinders.
The BMW sales catologs clearly identify the RS4 as a competitor, and provide in depth information about it. A press release doesn't say anything about the thinking of the M development team or other development staff; it's simply a part of a marketing campaign. What press release are you referring to anyway?

You've taken "some" of these initial impressions way too seriously. These people are trying to sell magazines, and drama does that. Pick up the NYT and read the art critics. They always find fault in anything; that's their job. Most auto critics are not any different.

Think about it: are M engineers really that STUPID? If there was a steering problem, wouldn't their test drivers have pointed out the issue to them a long time ago? And why would they not fix it?

In other words, at this early point in the game, in the absence of any hardcore data and personal experience, I would trust the M engineers more than the the sensational magazine writers. That doesn't mean that there is no problem with the steering. There is a chance M engineers got the steering wrong, but I'm saying that is much lower than the chance some of these initial reviews are onto something significant. And, only time will tell. I haven't put a deposit on anything, and if I like what I see and hear when the 08 comes out, I'll put in an order for an 09.
Appreciate 0