10-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #23
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robz26 View Post
I leased with the intent to drive my baby real hard and, if something bad were to happen (e.g. medium accident), have the option of giving her up and getting something new to play with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
the second reason-notice how i said second and not first-that I lease a vehicle, especially high-end cars like the M3, is due to the fact that reliability is a common concern. If I notice the vehicle is at the BMW dealer being serviced quite often, I just turn it in, and never look back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
-These are complex cars. Things can go wrong. Generally, you'll know in the first two years if it's a problem car. If it is a problem car, and you own it, selling it will be hard and you won't get the "market" value, which increases the net cost to own it.

-This was my first M, and I didn't know if I'd want to keep it, or keep refreshing to a new M each time they came out. The flexibility made it stress free.
While I understand the rationale of leasing as a trial period while you figure out if you like the car, I generally don't like to bet against myself. Meaning that before I buy a car, I'm going to do a hell of a lot of research and test drives to make sure that the car is going to fit my specifications/needs (fun to drive, reliable, etc.). At that point, I'm as sure as humanly possible that the car is the right one for me. Having the extra flexibility of jumping out of the car in case there is a problem is just a very unlikely scenario if you've done your homework. In this specific case, the e9x M3's are generally rock solid reliable (much better than the HPFP issues with the 335's).

For those of you guys that've figured out the financials, it might not be that much extra money to lease then buyout, so I guess it's all good. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by Foodle; 10-16-2012 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0