09-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #18
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
I have had the same issues with my APracing BBk, but I was using Meguire's Gold edition wheel cleaner and occasionally some other off the shelf. I never would have thought they were strong enough to eat off paint and etch anodized aluminum which are the disc hats.

Now I have to take the brakes off, ship the calipers to IND week after next, get them repainted and glossed and the rear hats that suffered the most etching damage, re-anodized. New hardware and time. Gonna run me about $800 when all said and done. I'm never gonna use that shit again. If I need to really clean my wheels, I'll take the time on a weekend afternoon and jack the M3 up, take off the wheels and clean it all up. I don't mind, but sure mind my $6600+ BBK getting screwed up because of some damn wheel cleaner. GRRRRR!!!!

Good luck man, hope you get your brakes looking like new again.
My brakes have no damage to the calipers or hats, only the fasteners that are mild steel have started rusting. I am always on top of this sort of stuff and after I noticed the rust to appear I stopped using the Sonax and cleaned up the fasteners.

Down the road I will probably try and source stainless or titanium fasteners to use in the place of the mild steel stuff anyhow.