Thread: C63 Black
View Single Post
      07-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #79
driftster
Rep
Drives: m3,325,deville,f150,tsx etc

Ok bare with me for a moment will you all, i have some issues with this vehicle..

This car is going to run dollar wise, north of 100,000 correct? (Probably in the high 130's much like the CLK)... But WHAT about this car makes it worth that kind of coin?

Now think along with me, the mb black series first of all was their attempt at reinventing the AMG niche which had for a long time been a stale stale shadow of it's former amazing self. What a black series signifies is AMG's engineering prowess in taking one of the cars from their lineup, and breaking it down to the bolt and creating a completely altered beast. One that has new suspension geometry has been track tested has shed outstanding amounts of poundage and has kept true to the old Mercedes racing heritage...

NOTHING about this car fits in with those "standards and practices".

This car is in all seriousness, assembled as a parts bin car, it is the assembly line "yang" to the 1M's "yin".

I am all but certain the only TRULY newly designed part on this car, is the forged lightweight AMG wheels that they seem to be so proud of in their press release.

The CLK63 was expensive because it was unique, it was designed to do a job and it did it. It's suspension was so unique in fact, that it's front suspension/end was used to create the c63 AMG...

However this cars soul is nothing but a collaborative effort of 3 cars from the Mercedes lineup. The CLK BS, the E class AMG, and still debatable is the influence the SLS had on the car (unless there is someone who is actively disassembling these engines to identify and compare pistons rods and wrists pins to that of SLS ones) this will be another MB corner cut that goes unaccounted for.

Let me elaborate..

The Front end is the CLK63, cut and dry..from the cash shocks to the mount points to the bracing.. Geometry remains CLK63 friendly with the addition of a different offset wheel and amount of rubber...
The rest of the car is for simplicities sake...the e63... It's increased track is a result of the e63 re3 ar axle, but not only axle, it's the e63 differential e63 diff cooler, e63 prop shaft...e63 transmission e63 oil cooler, the new larger brakes are straight from the e63 aswell, heck even the e63's exhaust and tail pipes have been CTRL+V'd onto the car. ...The ONLY debatable are as i said, the internals. ..and whether or not they are TRULY the SLS AMG's internals..

It's really hard to believe they went through the trouble of including the SLS AMG's rods and pistons, just so they could keep the bore/stroke/compression ratio and all that jazz the same....yet only give the car a 30-40 horses? Meanwhile down the road and back in time quite a few years there were dozens of c63's making more than 507-517HP on stock internals wit the inclusion of a reflash air filters and exhaust, coming with multi-year warranties the whole 9... NUMERICALLY this cars power does not add up as to suggest the inclusion of these "high strength internals"...along with the idea that the car's ECU has been remapped aswell..

After all the e63AMG..did make.. "1"bhp more than this black series, although they share almost everything

Now this isn't just a list of things i have a problem with, this all ties to the concept that this car had very very little overhead...And by little overhead i mean, they took something they had finished and been done with 3 years ago off the shelves put it in a new package and marked the price up nearly 100,000 dollars...

This black series is 80,000 dollars more expensive than the standard c63 and is about 50,000 dollars more expensive than the e63 it took all of it's parts from...

For the cost of this car you can quite literally buy BOTH of those AMG's the C63 and E63 and probably have cash to spare.

So i ask you again, what does this car do that makes it worth anything so lofty as it's current projected price tag. What makes this car worth that much and like i said what tangible evidence supports that, or isn't their any..

And please when i say tangible evidence i mean "Because it's awesome, listen to the exhaust, it comes in red..."

because quite frankly, I feel benz stole the coupe's greenhouse from the damn Honda Accord as well..
Appreciate 0