Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_Bentley View Post
If I can add my 2 cents worth... In my experience, the best drivers in the world lose their focus/concentration just as much as anyone else. What they do better than most is regain it quickly. So, it's not just how to stop yourself from losing focus - it's being able to regain it quickly that matters.

What do most drivers focus on when they lose focus? The fact that they've lost focus (wow, that's a lot of "focus" in two sentences!). And the more they focus on having lost it, the more they stay un-focused. The key is having a "trigger" to regain focus. For example, if you program yourself so that every time you lose focus, you say the phrase "eyes up," you look further ahead and your focus comes back to what you're doing in that moment - and you will quickly regain focus.

It takes practice (programming), though. Why do we as humans do what we do? Because we're programmed to do so. Why do we NOT do what we want to do? Because we're NOT programmed to do it. Practicing (programming) quickly regaining focus by using a trigger word or phrase is the key. And everything else others have suggested here all help make that happen, too.

It is comforting to know that if we lose focus, we're no different than Fernando Alonso, Joey Hand, or Jimmie Johnson. They've just practiced regaining focus more than most.
I think you hit the nail on the head! I'll botch 2 or 3 corners in a row. Then I'm really focusing on the line, being smooth, feeling the car, and it keeps getting worse. I asked this question to figure out how not even get to the point where I botch 2 or 3 corners in a row. Really, my question should have been how do I get back on the horse and keep the Miata's off my ass.

Nothing worse than ending a session pointing a Miata by...not that has ever happened to me

EDIT: I bought your book...I'm sure this was covered in it! Just didn't get to it yet. It is an AWESOME book! Learned a ton so far and I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

OT: You SHOULD read Speed Secrets. It is great at setting up your intellect to execute better on the track.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0