07-31-2007, 05:09 AM   #51
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
swamp, i'm quoting myself here because i'm not sure if you even saw this post (which btw is the last post on the first page). it's safe to say that this could only be the result of a discrepancy between the computer's performance model and the real thing. given that the car as tested by car and driver was a 6mt, it's safe to assume that the flaw in your simulation wasn't a shift time flaw. my intuitive thought on it, is perhaps bmw is even underrating the hp on the M3.

what are your thoughts on this discrepancy?

- esquire
The 4.68 was for 0-100 km/h, not to 60 mph. I posted the metric figures for south who asked about what gear the M-DCT was in at 200 km/h.

Even if the 6MT comes in at 4.3, 4.47 is within 2%. Did you see south's post on tire size discrepancies? He found a 3% error right there in all CarTest sims. But the existence of that error is probably only accurate at 70 degrees F, with tires at 33 psi and at sea level (kind of joking here, but again, not really). I could tweak some of the parameters further but when almost all the numbers come in within 5% or so I am pleased.

It all depends on the simulation and discipline. Some folks like in some areas of physics are happy with a prediction within a factor of 10. In acoustics 3dB is pretty good (a factor of 2!). For this type of thing I am very pleased with 5%. Sure wish I could get in the ball park on the 335i though... Cheers.
Appreciate 0