View Single Post
      10-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
abehwang
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I don't think the chassis needs to change if it holds a turbocharged motor.

It used to be that an M car was also about the control of the manual transmission and a high revving naturally aspirated engine. The manual trans bit is dying out now that we have DCT and DCT is faster. And the bit about an M car being all about a high revving naturally aspirated engine will die out also.

Why was the high revving naturally aspirated engine needed? So you could stay in gear longer around the racetrack? DCT shifts so quickly, that advantage is immaterial. So it could make more power? A turbo will allow a smaller engine to make both more power and, perhaps more importantly, more torque. So the driver could manage the power better because the torque comes in slowly and gradually and there really is not that much of it? Traction control will help the driver put the power down just like DCT helps the driver shift better. We may even see a performance AWD system from BMW at some point.
Torque comes in slowly and gradually with a turbo engine? I thought it was more difficult to manage/fluctuate the power on turboed cars. I agree that the power is there but the direct control of that power is not consistent throughout the powerband.

Fuelly :: Adelei's Gas Mileage
Appreciate 0