View Single Post
      02-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #58
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Yeah, here we go. You don't think others thought that when they saw the subject matter of your poll?

While your intentions may be innocent, there's enough "attitude" in this forum as is. Between those who feel they have to be able to justify the purchase/lease of this car (be it due to their age, income, net worth, etc.), and those that prey on others they somehow find to be less worthy, along with various other pissing contests, it's creating a bad vibe in this forum, imo.

I appreciated the "garage thread," for instance. It didn't say show a pic of your garage and state your net worth. It was just about garages. Some far nicer than what many others can afford, some done more tatesfully at a bargain, some more maintenace oriented, but it just showed appreciation from everyone about garages, and it demonstrated how everyone appreciates it in a different way.

Polls like this don't bring aboutg any sense of appreciation. They only bring about arguments, sense of superiority/inferiority in some, negative competition, and there's just too much of that in this forum as is. I like visiting this place, and I just wish it would contain more of the good natured information and appreciation of common interests that it did in the past. Even most of the sub-forums have these negative, pissing contests going on.
I'm glad you appreciated my garage thread. Much in the same way people appreciate seeing a nice set of wheels, or a hot supercharger set-up, I had hoped that this was something that would be appealing to car enthusiasts.

This thread has the potential to turn bad, but I think it is also just out of curiosity. What kind of people are other M3 owners? Obviously anyone who buys an M3 is into cars to one degree or another. Nobody buys this car just for transportation. It is clearly an enthusiast vehicle, and so I think it is natural to want to know a little about the composition of the enthusiast community.

I think the poll was a bit too specific. Educational "level" would be:

Less than high school
High school/GED
Associate's degree
Bachelor's degree
Master's degree
Doctoral degree

Any more specific than that and you really are asking about specific professions, not educational level.

Educational level does give a clue about how sophisticated a discussion one may be able to engage in, however, with another party. While life experience and maturity can certainly "compensate" for lack of formal education in this regard, I can say with a fair level of certainty, that much of what I may have to say would likely go over the head of an 18 year old who dropped out of high school i.e. I doubt I could engage in a meaningful discussion concerning religion and violence through the course of human history with such an individual. Or, more relevant to the M3, the physics of injector design and fuel delivery limitations at 8000rpm in a street built automobile !!!

Last edited by LarThaL; 02-08-2012 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0