swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
swamp2,

Am I right in thinking that in your opinion street legal race tyres like the ones on the CSL and others can make as much as 10~15 seconds over a full lap of the ring.

If so could someone explain to me why the improvement aren't found with the M6 compared to the M5. I believe the M5 did it's lap (8:13) with normal street tyres while the M6 did it's lap (8:09) with street legal race tyres, when you consider that the M6 is not only lighter but because of it's CF roof has also a lower centre of gravity, all things which in theory should improve handling and acceleration you would have thought that in combination with these tyres the gap would have been bigger than just 4 seconds.

What's your opinion on this or is it as simple as some cars seem to perform better with these tyres than others.
Do keep in mind that the basic comparison M5 vs. M6 ,despite many similarities, is basically an apples to oranges comparison.

The estimates based on actual real world testing indicate about 2 seconds per minute saved by going from a top notch UHP tire to a DOT legal race tire. Sure the number depends on the car, driver, speed of track, other track details. temperature, etc., etc. But the savings is fairly dramatic and consistent.

I did find references on the net that the 8:09 was obtained with a "sport package" or "sport tires" for the M6. If those tires are similar to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires or equivalent I am not sure why the time difference would be so small. South or another German speaking board member can probably comment based on the exact Sport Auto test of the M6. Maybe the tires are not so close to a Pilot Cup.

Also, South: Can you let us know which entries in lucid data do have such "UHP+" tires? If you can I will highlight them in a color and post the graph. I expect that would explain many of the data points well below the regression prediction.
Appreciate 0