View Single Post
      01-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #153
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

and last nights progress....things look very good inside the motor...im pretty stoked about that.

=============

got the head off tonight w Ryan's help. Not sure it would have happened w/ out him there!

my impressions, not an easy job for sure, lot of little delicate parts that could be broken for sure. Need to keep all the bolts, nuts, etc organized during the job so you know where they go for reassembly.

tranny is out, Ryan is taking it to work tomorrow to redo the shift pins...he rocks.

clutch

vanos cover coming off

our BMW special tool part #029494nail

cam chains

coming off

honestly the chains, sprockets, and tensioners were the only confusing part of removing the head, but you dont want to f them up!

cams coming out

bare head

all cylinders how we found them

Cyl 1

Cyl 2

Cyl 3

Cyl 4

Cyl 5

Cyl 6

and here is the damaged MLS head gasket, it almost looks like something in the coolant damaged the gasket and lead to its destruction!

you can clearly see where the coolant was entering cylinders 5 and mainly 6

the good news is the motors appears to be very healthy still, no visible wear on the cylinders, you can even still see the cross hatched machine marks after 86k miles!

a little cleaner and super fine steel wool and cyl 1 looked literally good as new!

and cyl 6 gets the same treatment, it looks a little worse than cyl 1 but it cleaned up 100x easier, must have been the coolant working the grime loose

Overall I am VERY pleased with the condition of the motor after tear down....please let me know if you guys see anything that I should pay attention to or be alarmed by.

bare head and wastegate piping ready to head to the machine shop

next step is to o-ring the block!