11-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Schnell View Post
I have gone through two sets of Stop Tech pads. Their initial bite is not as good as stock until they get some heat into them. They also wear down quickly with heavy tracking. I went through 1/2 of Stop Tech pads in two 20 min sessions at the Nurburgring GP circuit. In comparison, I went through just less than 1/3 pad material w/Pagid RS-19s in 4 20 min sessions at Spa Francorchamps. Spa is much harder on brakes than the Nurburgring GP circuit. Also, Pagid makes a street performance pad ... They're on the way to me. Can't wait to try them.

I, now, switch to track pads when I go to a track day with more than 40 mins of drive time.

obtw, So glad I opened your thread!! I am moving to NM and was getting depressed because of leaving Germany and all the great tracks around here. I just discovered that the track you mentioned is about 2 hours from where I'll live ...
I know what you mean about Europe. I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath and spent six weeks at Ramstein TDY and hit up the Ring almost every weekend. I tracked at Silverstone, Brands Hatch and Snetterton. You will be undoubtadly and terribly dissapointed with NM and the South West in general. BUT, me and some co-workers do do some fun weekend road trips up through the NM mountains when the weather is good, mainly Spring and Summer. Get a hold of me when you show up. There are a few more M3's I hook up with. Good points on your pad experiances too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
depends what you mean by light track use. only going twice a year but being super fast still demands a track pad. if you are in fact only going that often seems like it would be easy to just switch to a track pad couple times a year. it will squeal on you but will also not create pad deposits and huge shudder problem like most street pads especially oem. if your a beginner the the stoptech st pad should work but intermediate or above you will smoke those as well. i liked the ferodo ds2500 but it is pretty noisy but easy on the rotors and i just left them in all the time.
We'll I'm not an expert but I've kept up with some "pro" drivers in the area and I will put the brakes through plenty of stress at my level of driving when I do track. I just don't have hundreds of laps of experiance. It sounds like the StopTech pads are not the way for me to go though. I think maybe Hawk, Pagid or ferodo as desribed above.
Appreciate 0