05-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I am pretty confident my e93 is safer than an older Honda.... or a s2k or a miata lol
(those are actually amazing track cars though)
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Biting your tongue? Not ripping on verts being too slow or heavy at the track (my E46 M3 vert was my favorite car) but not safe in a track environment IMO. I wouldn't track it without at least a partial cage.
OP: Look up Motorsport Ranch Houston (4 hour drive from Austin) or Motorsport Ranch in Cresson (4 hours drive from Austin). Or other HPDE (High Performance Driving Events) that are going on around the state. Suggest you go to one of them as an observer and see what people do/bring and make friends. Then register for the next one and participate! Having done many Track-Days with motorcycles, last month was the first for me in a car (M3 Cabriolet)...and it was a frakking blast! Seems like the best "mod" you can do for the car is buy a set of extra wheels with disposable rubber to scrape on the track -- and save your OEM tires for the street.

It has the automatic roll-bar safety system (you can YouTube for video examples of it) which makes the convertible qualify for most Texas-area Track-Days that I've searched. Last month I did all 90 miles with the top-down around MSR Houston -- it was amazing and fun. No, it won't be as fast as a typical E90, a low-budget Bugatti Veryon, or a five-year old Lamborghini -- WhoTFCares? Have fun!

(and get a GoProHD2 before your Track Day!)

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0