View Single Post
      04-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
66BM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ML63 AMG, E92 M3, E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR01 View Post
I saw another m3 blow out its motor, at a recent track day. Apparently the 1st day its ever been driven at one & he started out the morning saying he was low on oil the night before. Not sure if he simply didn't add enough and faced starvation issues or he added enough and something else caused it. I added a quart of similarly graded synthetic that morning just in case!

My car has had 3-4 days on the current oil plus 5-8k miles on it. I plan on changing this weekend if possible. On my E36 I run a thicker (diesel grade synthetic) oil better suited to the warmer months & tracking. I believe its 15w50.

Does anyone do this with their E92? If so, what grade? I get the whole warranty issue but the I'm also assuming the grading of the OEM oil is for a broader temperature range allowing for colder weather. Track temps now for me have already been 75-80+ during the 4 track days Ive been to.

I run ELF Racing Synthetic in the E92. It's used mostly in race bikes, and with the high rev'ing short stroke engine of the E92, it's pretty reliable. I race this car and instruct HPDEs, roughly 60+ days a year, and I change it 3-4 times a season.. I change it in the beginning of the season regardless of last oil change.