05-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #37
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
It might serve you well to be a little more open minded. I don't have the reference (some kind soul might like to help me out), but I believe the 335i engine (twin turbo) was hailed as the best new engine of 2006, and I can't really say I've heard many complaints from F40 (also twin turbo) drivers!

Since power is merely a function of torque and revs, torque is a pretty crucial aspect of performance, and clever deployment of turbos can gain a wide-ranging boost in torque

Finally, I don't really understand how you would go about identifying an "equivalent" diesel engine...

I don't mean to get argumentative, but I just think it's always worthwhile considering all of the available options - none of us really want to miss out on something cool for the sake of a little blue and white badge do we?
Just look what Ferrari and Porsche can do without forced induction. I'd hardly call the 911 GT3/GT3 RS, Enzo, 599 and F430 slow and they rely on wide power bands. At least with na engines you have to stoke them to get their best, but once you do, you get a very useable powerband. OK, you say that FI suits road-driving better, but as long as you're in the right gear, any decent NA car will be quick enough to keep up with any traffic.