View Single Post
      05-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #32
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflemon View Post
As for older models, the track times are all over the place depending on where you look.
The thing is, I commute to work on public roads, not on a track - so I don't really care much about track times.

Ask the people who actually drove those cars while those times were recorded which car they would prefer to drive everyday. When it comes to sports coupes and sedans in the 30-60k price-range, its likely to be the BMW. If it weren't then when they sat down to write the reviews, they would not rank the BMW ahead of the Audi routinely. If it weren't then, like I said earlier, Audi (et. al.) would not be chasing BMW in driving dynamics, and they would not be boasting about the improved handling due to engine position and better weight distribution of their new chassis.

Its more than just a little ironic that Audi is essentially admitting that their cars have traditionally suffered in handling vs. their biggest competitor, but yet some Audi owners are simply not willing to acknowledge this. Personally I hope that the new Audis are excellent - more competition means better prices for everyone. Who would have guessed a few years ago that you'd soon be able tobuy a 300hp BMW sedan for under 40k starting price. We have competition (from the Japanese primarily) to thank for that.
Appreciate 0