08-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #54
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
No question that the shifts are lightening fast, but beyond that it is no different from a torque converter automatic which also meant (to me) that it was as boring as a torque converter automatic.
I respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelrock View Post
Audi DCT...not even in same ballpark. The M3's is phenominal. Nothing boring about it.
+1... I owned a paddle shifter automatic with a torque converter for a VERY short 9 month a few years ago. When I went from a 328i to my G37S coupe, I bought it in an auto (it was the only one they had and I got a great deal). Within 2 months I really, REALLY, R-E-A-L-L-Y regretted my decision. It was fast shifting and rev matched but the car felt nothing like a manual... and I mean nothing like a manual even with the paddle shifters. The M-DCT is absolutely NOTHING like a torque converter equiped auto. The M-DCT feels, acts and performs like a manual without a clutch pedal because that is exactly what it is. I knew within months I made a mistake with the G37S coupe (and traded it for a G37S coupe with 6MT)... the M3 with DCT is a different beast and an absolute keeper.

You don't have to prefer the DCT to 6MT but please do NOT compare it to a auto with torque converter... that is just ridiculous!
Appreciate 0