View Single Post
      06-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #43
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

4,000+ pounds? Cars are getting to be more tanks than cars.

I wonder what the M3 with DCT would have done with a 275/295 setup? Sure, not stock, but I'd be curious to know what that would do to the 0-100 KPH times.

But the E9x M3 is no waif either at 3,750 pounds or so. In a recent Roundel article with Steve Dinan said something to the effect that more rubber "makes the weight seem to go away". Anyone running a wider setup found that to be the case? 'Cause I've really found my "sweet spot" for fun in cars is around the 3,000 pound level. M3 is great, but I feel the weight and size especially after driving the wife's Z4M. If I could mitigate that (and weight reduction simply isn't possible, Lucid took a hard look at that) it sure would make the car seem more fun in the good weather months. (No way I'm running a hydroplane nightmare like that in the winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
+ 1

one of the last great bmw for a long time to come...i will sure miss NA engines, hidraulic steering and low weight...

with the batch of future cars from bmw coming our way these cars second hand value will only go up as true enthusiasts will appreciate these more and more. just recently bmw car magazine had a feature on M5´s and they choose the E39 has the one to have. not that there is anything wrong with the E60 but something went missing with that generation.
my CSL value actually went up around 2000£ since I bought it. For me the next big thing is going to be the Z4M coup. Love the looks, better to drive than the current gen - and apparently there will be no M (even though they said the same about last generation) and only a few were made.
You'll love the Z4M. Lots and lots of fun, always puts a smile on my face (when I get to drive it that is ). The ~3,200 pound weight is nice too.

Add an Eisenmann sport and it the fun increases (good sounds, easier to rev match). It is a quirky and twitchy car though (part of it's fun/charm to me, and why my wife loves it so) and very demanding to drive. Needs the Turner e36 washer kit or camber plates up front unless you want it understeering and plowing for days since you can't dial in enough camber stock. (Pop over the the Z4 board if you want more info...there's a good handling thread in the track/autocross section going.)

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-18-2010 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Added Link
Appreciate 0