Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
What would be considered a wide to medium zoom? I've got a nikon 18-105mm, tamron 18-270mm (which I bought while on vacation when the plastic mount on the 18-105mm broke), and 35mm.

I was thinking of also getting a Sigma 10-20mm for scenery while we're on vacation and for car pics.
Yeah, on your crop sensor the Sigma 10-20mm would be good for scenics.

If you're getting serious, and considering that you've already broken one cheap lens, you might think about moving into the higher end of Nikkor lenses, with less extreme zoom ranges. Something like a 16-85mm and then later an 80-200mm.

Your interest in primes is understandable, given the zooms that you have. Go for higher quality lenses and you'll be making "investments" that you can use on various camera bodies for years to come.

Also, particularly with zooms and super-wide lenses, use the geometric correction modules in Lightroom, DxO and other RAW conversion softwares that correct from geometric distortion, CA, softness, etc. at every focal length and every aperture. This will elevate the sharpness of good zooms up close to the best primes. Really!

If you're not shooting in RAW and you're serious about photography, then you should start. It'll give you an extra stop of dynamic range and seriously increased ability to enhance your images.

Let us know what you decide to buy.

Dave