06-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #194
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
Guys - "greater" offset means NARROWER track. ZCP cars have 4mm NARROWER track not wider... I do not get it... WAIT, I do. Wheels are wider, so the offset tucks them in by 2mm, but they are probably 12mm wider... now I get it.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread (again), but as I start to look for dedicated track wheels and am comparing specs to the various OEM offerings, I noticed this too. But you were actually right the first time; the higher positive offset means ZCP would indeed have a 4mm NARROWER track than non-ZCP, and the wider wheels don't change that fact because track width is measured from the CENTER of the wheels, not the outsides. Unless the hub mounting point was moved farther out, when comparing track width, offset is the only thing that matters.

ZCP wheels DO however have the effect of pushing the outside edge of wheels 4.35 mm farther out toward the fender because the wheels are 12.7 mm wider overall (6.35 mm on each side of the centerline) and the higher positive offset only takes them in by 2 mm. But nevertheless, track width is actually narrower, so going back and reading the press release now I'm really surprised BMW is claiming "greater offset for a wider track". Unless the hub mounting point was moved farther out, that's just plain false -- and even if it was, the resulting wider track wouldn't be due to the greater offset.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 06-11-2013 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0