02-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #25
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr0gant View Post
God you guys crack me up. My point was that if you get used to driving it with aids on, then take them off, you can forget they're off. Then when you expect them to save you, they're not there.

On the "other" hand, if you turn them off every time you drive, you know they're not there to save you, so you're always more careful. Has no one experienced this?

Anyhow, I used to turn them off "sometimes." Then one time, I turned MDM/TC off and after about 30 minutes of cruzing, I FORGOT I had turned it off. When I expected MDM to kick in, I was halfway through A spin...and Did 180 and gained control of the car. Luckily nothing was there to hit....so be careful and mindful if/when you disable MDM/TC.
I have not experienced this. I typically drive with MDM or DSC OFF, and sure I forget sometimes. But it doesn't ever change the way I drive or react. That is MY point. I NEVER assume that even DSC ON will ever save the car, so I drive and react accordingly. As if nothing was there. That's how everyone should drive IMHO. To think that you are somehow "safe" and can just drive wild, because DSC ON will save you, is a bad thing. It may or it may not. It's just better to focus on driving and being alert all the time.
Appreciate 0