Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
So you want opinions from the people who've actually driven the M3. I'm sure every vehicle (each M3) is a little different. I drove an M3 in Germany for about 45 minutes this past December. I can not compare to the 335 but I have driven the 328 manual if that's any help.
So, first the clutch. Take up is very linear and the engagment is about at the mid point of the throw. On some cars you have to get "used to" where the take up point is on the car, not on the M3, it's very natural with no learning curve. The engagement point is also wide enough so that you really don't risk killing the motor because the clutch is either "off" or "on." It just feels like a really nice hydraulic unit.
Now the tranny. I think the throws are nice, could be a little bit shorter but really just fine. On this particular vehicle when you engaged 2nd gear, if you didn't give it a little pause, it would be notchy. My guess is with milage this will resolve. Each of the other gears were very nice, smooth, easy to engage and direct. Overall, I think no faults at all with the clutch and drivetrain engagement. Now, compared to my friend's 328 manual, I think they are pretty similar. That's not a criticism, I think they are both very nice. I have a less favorable opinion about steering feel, but you didn't ask about that. It's a really nice car and fun to drive.
Thx for the info. I just test drove a 328i manual yesterday & absolutely hated the shifter for the same reason below. Once you try the S2000's shifter, there's nothing else (besides high-end exotics I've never tried) as good as it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdorifto View Post
when I test drove the M3 this is what I said about it:

"The only only only thing i hate about the m3 is the shifter. I'm spoiled with the shifter on the S2000. Theres nothing like it. The throws are fall too long, the clutch pedal travel was too long."

Short Shifter, CDV removal, and a shifter knob would make the shifting feel a hell of a lot better
Agreed! BMW shifter's are just plain blah (e46 M3, e60 M5 & e90 328i specifically)! I even tried an e46 M3 w/a short-shift kit & it was better...but still blah. I'm glad I ordered the DCT.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0