06-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #150
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
He is right about the role of regulations in BMW's decisionmaking. You just chose to overlook the arrival of the 1-Series while instead looking at the relative road hog M/SUV model.
I doubt BMW released the 1-series here in the U.S. because of regulations; I would think it was to meet perceived (and now we know actual) demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
Thanks for a great well-reasoned post. I mostly agree with you about waiting to see what BMW ends up delivering.

The aspect that worries me most is keeping the linear torque and world-class throttle response that makes current & previous M cars such a joy to drive, especially on the track. I track my cars and believe that no other car is a better all-arounder than an M3.

An important part of that greatness is the engine which works wonders at the track. You can very finely control instantly the amount of power the car is putting to the ground. The engine responds to inputs in a linear - excellent - immediate - way.

No turbo I have ever driven comes close in this regard. New "low lag" designs are an improvement but still far from the throttle response of an M engine.

I've driven the 335i, 135i, X6 3.5i, new TT 750i and also Audis with VAGs 2.0 liter TT motor. All nice but definitely a step behind an M engine in this regard.

Throttle response and linear power delivery is my main concern. I don't care that much if they decide to go to a V6 for packaging reasons. If M loses these qualities they might push me into a P-car. I hope they can pull it off as I love the brand.
+1

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0