View Single Post
      05-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #101
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
I don't want to get in a remedial economics debate but supply and demand is an equalizer. A one off loser isn't good economics.
And don't kid yourself this wasn't what Toyota had in mind when they started this project.
And I have never said Toyota was being greedy. I said the car isn't worth the money IMO. This was a costly venture that didn't pan out. It happens.
Hopefully some of this technology will filter down to upcoming sports cars in their lineup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
Forget about sports cars. That's not going to sustain Toyota in the long term. If lower-end mass-market cars like the iQ, Yaris, Corolla, Camry, etc. benefit from low-cost CF manufacturing, then we can't write off this project as a loser.
The LFA was meant to be a halo car, one that (along with the IS-F) would help change Lexus's reputation as a maker of competent, but ultimately dull, driving appliances. Lexus has been noted for build quality, features & amenities, smoothness, impeccable dealer service, yes. But passion? No. Now that they have more buyers than supply in a $400k market, can even stipulate lease-only terms in a major automotive market, have writers the globe over singing praises of quality, sound, responses and Scuderia-levels of involvement, not to mention countless interweb debates...did they not succeed in building a halo car that raises the brand's awareness?
Based on the various iterations of this car (some with considerably different styling details), mid-engined variants, V8 experiments as well as the original aluminum construction, I'd say Toyota probably did not have this in mind when they started the project.

You do realize that the GT-R is a money-loser too, don't you? And taking your logic to its conclusion, the F430, Porsche Turbo/GT3, Zonda F, Gallardo/Murcielago, R8, V12 Vantage, are all not worth the money when the cheaper, faster alternatives like the ZR1 and ACR exist.
997GT3 got owned
Appreciate 0