View Single Post
      07-27-2007, 11:08 PM   #43
RI_RS4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Audi RS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
You seem to be missing the point. Very few M3 or RS4 owners will actually race their cars. Some (including myself) will track them and have fun, but that's not racing. The point is to get satisfaction from the experience and have a good time. Whatever little comparative objective data we have on the M3 and the RS4 suggests that M3 has an edge--not a huge one, but it seems to be there. But even that's not the point. The point is that almost all of these initial impressions conclude that the M3 involves the driver more once pushed, and delivers more fun. I don't care if the RS5 ends up genereting slightly better numbers than the M3 if it can't involve the driver to the same extent. We can debate that variable all we want, but in the absence of real experiences behind the wheels of these two cars that are not even on the street yet, we don't have much to go on here...
Lucid, we can agree here. Most all of us here, except Jet, will not race our cars. However, one of the things that many reviewers of the M3 have said is missing is just that, the driver involvement. In fact, some have felt that the RS4 was the more driver involving car. But that was not the point of this thread. Jet and I have been trying to correct the record and mis impressions about the A5/S5/RS5 chassis. It was said to be fat, heavy ... etc. It will not be and was specifically designed not to be. It has been said that somehow the R8 performance will dictate the upper limits of performance of the RS5. It will not, as they are totally different market segments.

Jet and I would both agree that the M3 has the potential for being an exceptional car. I'd love to have one myself, for dry days on exceptional roads. But, for the first time in M3 history, you have to agree that the M3 has a worthy competitor in the RS4 AND a potential worthy follow-on competitor in the RS5. Trust me, the RS4 involves the driver when pushed. It also signals it's intentions quite well. I know that from experience at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock. At the same time, it's also an exceptionally smooth and comfortable cruising machine, capable of long family trips. And ... my dog loves to ride in the back seat! What more could I want?

From my perspective, the good news is that there is real competition. This is good for every one of us, because BMW, Audi and Merc will respond to the competition with better products than they would have in it's absence. And ... I truly look forward to the day the BMW introduces the M3 CSL in the US, because I truly expect it will be an awesome automobile.
Appreciate 0