Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - 6MT - Jerez Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck
Quote:
Originally Posted by fongpi View Post
After thinking for months on whether I should get a DCT or 6MT E93 M3, I have come to conclude that the DCT is a safer and more practical car because it is less accident prone. This is because there are fewer coordinated motions which the driver would need to make in order to stop a car in an emergency type situation.

Would you agree that the likelihood of rear ending someone is greater when driving a 6MT over a DCT in the M3? As someone with about one and half years of 6MT experience, I say yes it is more likely that a driver will rear end someone when driving a 6MT simply because it takes more coordination to stop a vehicle on short notice. Then again, when braking I usually disengage the gear and put in neutral before coming to a full stop. I’ve noticed some people just step on the brake like it was an automatic and then pop it out of gear right before the car comes to a full stop. My fear in doing that is becoming rear ended when the car stalls on the freeway!
You are doing it wrong. The car should always remain in gear until you are stopped. What if something happened and you suddenly needed to give the car gas to get away?

There are many legitimate arguments as to why someone will prefer a DCT to a MT -- this is not one of them.
+1 Thank You! And yes, stick to a DCT since you don't know what you're doing.

2011 E90 M3 - Jrz Blk - 6MT
Appreciate 0