View Single Post
      08-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Shoney41
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black

Need Car Advice for Father-to-be

Hey everyone, I figured I'd approach the forum members for some advice (it's not 100% M3-related so hopefully not too off-topic). My wife and I are expecting our first child, and I am thinking of adding a vehicle to the stable. Here's my current setup:

- I drive E92 as my daily.
- She drives our old Land Rover Discovery II (2002 model, 90k miles)...pretty good shape but definitely likes to have warning lights go off from time to time.

What I'd like to do (in order to keep the M3, of course!!!) is to get a third car as the main family mobile. I would then be able to split my driving between the POS-edition Land Rover and M3. That would keep miles lower on the M, and allow me not to expose it to the Northeast winters (no need for winter tires, less exposure to salt, etc). The budget should allow for that without too much pain, as long as I don't go completely overboard.

I am a little stuck on what cars to consider given that I know there's a lot of stuff I'm not thinking of simply because I haven't had a kid in a car, ever (i.e. car seats don't fit well in certain cars, larger SUV's are tough for mother to lift child up into seat, etc -- I know, all first-world problems).

What did some of you choose as your "familymobile"? Any specific things/features I should be focused on? So far, my wife and I have tried the X5, Grand Cherokee, and Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited -- just to illustrate how scatter-brained we are!

Many thanks in advance!