View Single Post
      06-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #25
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Stock vs stock, there is no doubt that the M3 handles MUCH better. Nobody doubts the M3's handling capabilities. But you can't live your life at the track.
And if you want a track car, the M3 is certainly not the car for that.

The question that has always been asked was : Is the M3 20k better than the 335 with a couple of mods?

Well, that depends on every person's lifestyle/needs.

Personally, since I only plan on tracking a few times a year, the 335 is a good value for 50k as it handles good and can be pretty damn fast for cheap. In everyday life, I love it's massive torque.

So, again, how fast the M3 is at the track is irrelevant to most people because you can't be at the track all day.

95% of the people don't even track their can on a regular basis.

In everyday life, the 335 with a strong "chip" and some coilovers will be very very close to an M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Seriously, the issue was not necessarily power. And I think he was a decent driver. It was a tight technical course. I was gaining significantly on everyone in the corners, including an RS4 and several E46 and E36 M3s. I thought the older M3s would handle better than that given their weight advantage. I was really surprised at how well the E92 M3 handled. And it was not because I am a great driver, and I’m not saying this because I own one. The car really impressed me in how balanced it is out of the box and how much traction it has. An E46 M3 spun in front of me as I was gaining on him and I was not even close to running into any kind of trouble. It's just that. One needs to appreciate and accept that. Can you make a 335 handle like that? Probably yes after significant mods and time. Is it worth it? I personally do not think so.