View Single Post
      01-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #123
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I haven't tried the M6, only M5 which up to a point impressed me but I felt that the engine was the main character in the whole thing and dominated everything, it's one of those occasions when a slight front weight balance and 500hp going solely to the rear felt like a bad idea. Unlike the M3 the M5 you know there was a point when the chassis said enough was enough.

You REALLY need to drive the M5 / M6 on the track. As I stated, I readily admit my car is clunky on the road but 3rd gear in the power band, it is an awesome car on the track.

With the M differential, you can easily throttle steer with the M5 / M6 - the car feels very neutral on the track. BMW definitely dialed in understeer but this is to prevent people with no talent from killing themselves.

You noted that the engine is the center of the driving experience.....there is nothing wrong with this is there? Take it on the track and you will feel the engineering that went into the drivetrain and chassis.

BTW, the M6 weighs about the same as my 335xi and only slightly heavier than the new M3....