View Single Post
      06-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I have been using dashcams for quite a while and went thru several of them, so a bit of advice based on my experience/preferences:
- do not get cheap ($30...50) Chinese units. That's a given, but some still fall for "FullHD! Gazillion megapixels!!" etc. claims. Units @ $100 and more are a different story. Mini 0806 is a decent one, has it quirks, but I like it so far and can recommend.
- Korean units are more reliable and stable, in general. Still have quality issues, like Blackvue 400 models that overheat. They claim it's fixed in later model, can't verify. But you're looking at $200 and more.
- I'd avoid that BMW branded unit unless you have $$ to burn, esp. if it's not officially supported here. If it breaks, how do you get it fixed?

Features that I find important
- Compactness. Size does matter when you try to fit it in a space b/w mirror, ez-pass, sun visor, radar detector and whatever else is up there. Plus you don't want to attract unnecessary attention, so not sure hanging a cigarette pack-sized thingy on your windshield is wise.
- Mounting method - I like the ones that have a small detachable base that permanently sticks to the windshield. Avoid suction cups, long adjustable arms.
- built-in LCD - after using the above mentioned Mini for few months, I find it quite useful. Alternatively, WiFi connection to download videos on the spot.
- Operating temps and power consumption - you want both to be low, to allow continuous operation not only when you drive, but also while parked. BlackVue 400 triggers "high battery discharge" message every time I get in my car at the end of the work day, while Mini sits easily for a week w/o any adverse effect. High temps also easily kill internal Li batteries. W/o them, your last recording is corrupt once the power goes off... imagine it was actually an accident and you don't have it on video.
Appreciate 3