View Single Post
      08-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Just installed mine, it went a bitdifferently for me. The lead for the ground wire was too long to go where OP had it and still have the cover fit back over the whole set up. I ended putting the ground right next to where OP had the power lead. I had to file both of the ends down a bit to fit in because they were a bit too thick. I also wrapped the part of the leads that would be exposed since they were so close to each other to prevent a short. Other than that little snag the install was relatively painless.

I would suggest getting at least the 12", I went with 16" and it is enough for me to run the unit on either side of the mirror. It looks much cleaner than having that cord running from the lighter, plus a bit more stealth. I didn't take any pics of the process because the OP has that pretty well covered. I will say that the easiest way to get the mirror down is to twist the whoe unit counter clockwise about 90 degrees and the whole thing will come down. Then you can take the plastic cover off without scratching the hell out of it. Then to put it back on it's the same thing, start it at 90 degrees from the normal position and twist it back on to the cam nut that is embedded in the windshield.

I'm functionally retarded and the whole process from start to finish, including grinding the leads down on the sidewalk (cuz I was too lazy to go back in the shed and find my file), took about 15 minutes. I would recommend this setup if you're looking for an easy way to hide your unit.

Chest
Appreciate 0