View Single Post
      07-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #33
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Change the title to E60 M5 vs. E90 335i, WINNER 335i!

The write up was very well written. By that, I mean it was subtle in it's intent. If you truly want to do a write up on your M5 driving impressions then do just that. Instead you chose to compliment the M5 only to follow up with why you think the 335i is better. Your opinion though and your entiteled to it and so am I. Just don't piss in people's face and then tell them it's just a little rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDPHB View Post
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my experience this holiday weekend with an M5....

Now the power...bear in mind that this car is broken in, so P500 mode (500 HP) was available. In 400 HP mode, the car is docile...almost to the point of being boring. It's smooth, yet takes a lot of throttle to get it going and with an 8250 RPM redline, my 335i will easily beat it in the cut and thrust of daily driving.
winner=335i

Quote:
....With such a high redline and wide power band, I was disappointed that I could never truly realize it's true potential......
winner=335i
dissapointed? come on, 7000 vs 8250 RPM and all of the sudden you couldn't realize it's true potential? You keep harping on the "high" RPM of the M5. You act like the peak rpm is twice as high. You've driven the car you now how fast it gets to 60/70/80 and to that peak RPM.
Quote:
In the end, as I was driving the car back to it's owners, I pulled up to my buddy's house and saw my car parked out front and thought to myself..."Ugh, I have to slum it and go back to my car". But the funny thing is, the minute I hopped back into my car and pulled out of the neighborhood, I realized several things...
This is where it get good...
Quote:
1. The 335i really moves off the line and loves to rev. It feels much faster than the M5 off the line, but give the M5 some room and it's no contest. Dare I say that the sound of the 335i's engine is more sonorous than the M5's. Not as thrilling or aggressive, but more beautiful.
winner=335i
#1, first thing you mention is a comment on how your 335i really moves and how it "feels" much faster. I thought this was a review of the M5. Oh and the exhaust is more "beautiful" on the 335.
Quote:
2. "Adjustability" - The M5 has way too many adjustments on it. There are 3 power/throttle settings, 6 manual shift modes, 5 auto shift modes, 3 EDC modes, 3 DSC settings, and 2 steering settings. That's just to decide how much power the car should have, how it should shift, how it should ride, how much trouble it should let you get into, and how heavy the steering should feel. I completely realize that once you set the M Mode, you pretty much drive it in default P400 mode or M Mode, but gimme a break. Just let me drive the damn thing! (I must be getting old.)
winner=335i
M5 too confusing.. just let me drive the damn thing!
Quote:
3. Gas - I realize that if you have enough money to afford an M5, gas isn't an issue, but......Let's just say 11 City/17 Hwy. I was able to eke out 18.8 MPG over an 80 mile highway stint driving it like a Prius, but realistically, expect 13 MPG in mixed driving. On the same 80 mile drive home, I averaged 29 in my 335i........
winner=335i
MPG better on a FI I6 than a NA V10, DUH.
Sorry M5 0 for 3.
Quote:
I thought I would be bummed hopping back into my 335i from the M5. From all of power to the size, handling, and ride combination and plethora of comfort features, I figured my car would feel like a stripped tin can, kinda like going from the Space Shuttle to a Cessna. Surprisingly, I think I like it better than the M5 for my needs. It's punchier around town, sized perfectly for urban and suburban driving, and more tactile with the road while still be comfortable enough........
winner=335i
Quote:
In the end, given the $97,000 MSRP on the M5 I drove, I'd rather buy a 335i or an M3 and buy a second car with the $45,000 or $30,000 I would have left over to really have some fun or utility with if I needed it.

No disrespect to those who have an M5, because if I could afford one, I'd take it, but I'm not only content, I'm very happy with my 335i purchase.
winner=335i
Yeah, no disrespect to you M5 owners but you paid too much for too much car that you won't even be able to enjoy to it's full potential unless you are on a track.