08-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #39
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
For the record, I agree that there are reasons to be suspicious of Bonds--the overall increase in bodily size, especially his head, would not usually be expected from someone his age. With that said....

I was actually rooting for him to do it--he's been a hell of a player his whole career, both before and after the allegations of performance enhancing drugs began. He plays in a ballpark that is pretty hard to hit homers in as well, especially for lefties. You cannot inject bat speed, reaction time, or his unbelievable hand-eye coordination. He belongs in the HOF, regardless, IMO.

And, as a previous poster noted, he has never tested positive for anything. Everything we "know" about his alleged use of these substances came from LEAKED grand jury testimony. No lab results. No test results. I hope none of you guys are ever on a jury where I have been accused of something--you are only looking at one side of the story, which has been glorified to a certain viewpoint by the media for years now. NONE of us know the whole story.

In addition, even IF he did use some sort of enhancement, baseball itself deserves much of the blame for not having an effective testing arrangement in place. The '98 home run chase between Sosa and McGwire saved baseball--it really did. Attendance was at an all time low following the strike-shortened '94 season, and it was obvious that they just didn't give a shit. Even with the surge in power related stats, the size of players increasing rapidly, and the whispers of steroid use becoming louder and louder--baseball did nothing. The business and future of baseball was simply more important.

Along those same lines--who are we to define cheating? Its hard to break a rule that doesn't exist.....are we now going to examine those pitchers of the past who were accused of "doctoring" the ball? What about supplements? Protein shakes? Nutritional experts? Where do you draw the line? What IS cheating, exactly? Should we put an * next to their names, next to all who tried to gain an advantage? I don't think so. His final total will be remembered as it should be--as a result of the power-bloated era that the '90's to the present has become.

And A-Rod WILL hit 800. Prince Fielder won't hit 500.

great post. i fully agree with you.

i think the reason baseball doesn't test for steroids is that they NEED players doing roids and hitting HRs to keep attendence up. these days its not about pitching - its about high powered offenses that hit alot of balls out of the park. not surprising, since pitchers duels seem "boring" to your average fan who doesnt know crap about the game. this is exactly the type of person MLB wants to attract. people who don't know crap about the game.

that being said, i can't really hold anything against Bonds, cuz its my belief that at least 25-30% of major leaguers do roids. possibly even higher. Bonds just has better hand eye coordination and an uncanny talent for hitting.

these days, its not a big deal, several people have chances to break the record, including Arod, Pujols, Cabrera on the Marlins. its only going to get worse and worse as time goes on. Bonds will be forgotten one day and the MLB will be defined by all these people chasing the new HR record. ill be surprised when we see another pitcher chasing 300 wins.
Appreciate 0