11-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
i am going to waste my time to go to the dealership for 1/2 of a $15 bottle of oil??

an hour plus of my time for $7.50. i am not sure how many of you work for minimum wage, but my time is worth way more than that.

you guys have too much free time if you are willing to go through that hassle for 1/2 a quart of oil.
Curt, but I have to agree with this. I go to the dealership's parts dept, use my BMWCCA card for the discount, and get 4 bottles of Castrol TWS at a time. I keep a few in the garage and one in the trunk at all times. I only need to top it up every couple months or so, but it's just so much more convenient to do it myself. And if I'm 300 miles from home, at Watkins Glen or wherever, I don't have to worry about driving a few hundred miles home to my dealer with a low oil level. You can just take care of it then and there.

I can just see it: take an hour or more out of your day to drive your car to the dealer, pull in the service entrance, talk to your service advisor, have the valet whisk the car to the back for the oil top-up, then have the valet lay some rubber in the back as he comes back around to drop your car off. No thanks.