07-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #74
d0o0fy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I order my CP9660 front kit from Essex a couple of weeks ago and got to install it recently, so I wanted to update everyone on the installation process and first impressions. I'll have some on-track feedbacks after next week-end.

Everything went very well with the installation. I had a couple of comments for the team at Essex in order to make the installation instructions even better. I'll be happy to share those with anyone that might want to hear them. The one thing that I will say however is to get yourself a set of EZ-out. This was a life saver when I had to remove the set screws of the OEM rotors. Even though the car is barely 3yrs old, those were seized. I only got one out intact, the 3 others I stripped almost immediately and had to drill them out. Honestly that's what took the longest of the whole installation. Everything else is a perfect fit and everything that you need is provided. As expected from AP and Essex, the kit is beautifully designed and really high quality.

One thing that should be absolutely clear is the need for a stud conversion. I cannot imagine trying to get this kit to work on bolts. And that's probably the only issue I find with this kit (even with a stud kit installed) is the lack of any set screws to secure the hat to the hub, causing the rotor to easily slide out. Ironic that I should ask for more set-screws when they gave me so much trouble.

I did get the opportunity to weight both the OEM system and the AP system and here is what I got:

Caliper (APRacing/OEM): 2.7kg / 3.3kg
Braket (APRacing/OEM): 0.4kg / 2.2kg
Rotor (APRacing/OEM): 9.8kg / 9.7kg

Overall: 25.8 kg / 30.4 kg (56.8lbs / 67.0lbs)
Weight reduction: 4.6kg (10.1lbs)

I didn't include the weight of the dust shields since they were already off.
Overall 10lbs of unsprung mass removed with very similar rotational mass.

Regarding fitment, I was able to confirm that the front kit fits the following wheels:
OZ Challenge HLT 18x10 ET 25 (Track)
OEM 359M ZCP 19x9 ET31 (Summer Street)
OEM 220M 19x8.5 ET29 (Winter Street)

On the road, the only (minor) issue I have at the moment, is the rattle made by the pads. I'm used to running track pads with no clips and with titanium shims, so I'm quite used to a bit of rattle from the brakes. But, hopefully all that will be fixed quickly by the tension clips coming out soon. I'm running DS2500 on the street and they are pretty well behaved with very minimal squealing.

I'm already looking forward to upgrading the rear with the upcoming kit.

As I said earlier, my next track event is this coming week-end and I am excited to be able to put the kit through its pace using the DS.Uno pads. They will be paired with RC6E at the rear.

Lots of goodies in the mail:

Here is the kit installed:

And on the 359M:
Appreciate 1
redpriest2147.00