View Single Post
      12-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

While somebody jumps in, are you going to use stock fluid or something else? If the latter, what do you have in mind? I've been thinking of using Redline fluid to fix the cold notchiness (it cured it perfectly on my new Accord 6MT), but with BMW paying for services, am afraid of possibly voiding tranny warranty. I might do it, but want to make sure somebody else does it first and reports positive results.

As far as doing it, it should be pretty straight-forward, as tranny has both a drain and a fill plug; only extra step is removing a tranny belly pan, but should be simple as well. Only issue to watch is car should be level. You could always add the right amount, but I always prefer to wait for fluid to flow out of the fill hole, as fill amount will depend on how long you drain the tranny. I have 2 fill amounts, one 1.8 qts and 2.2 qts, and don't know which one is right. But again, it all depends on how long you drain.

I'm hoping the fill plug is in the rear of the tranny, so I can lift car from the rear only. During fill up, I could rig a tubing to the engine compartment, lower the car level, fill it from there, once it flows out stop, lift car again, tighten the plug, reinstall belly pan, and be done with it. If plug is in front, I'd have to put car in ramps and jack stands, which I hope to avoid. Keep us posted man.
Appreciate 0